Monday, May 17, 2010

new 'word', and illustration

Okay guys, I've been thinking about my word... in class, I'd announced the word 'dream', but wasn't really sold on it. Since reading a bit about the Arts & Crafts movement at the turn of the previous century I came across an interesting word combination to describe me as a person: "designer-maker". Now, you have to know about the arts and crafts movement to understand this concept, as instigator William Morris was all about craftsmanship and 'truth to materials' in architecture, interior design and decorative arts.  He was essentially a graphic designer and advocated simplicity and authentic design (not machine-made materials). This movement in turn inspired Art Nouveau.

So, that said, I wonder if anyone has any feedback for me?

The above illustration is a gouache painting I did in celebration of a friend's new baby. 'Oskar' means a few different things in translation, one being 'deer lover', so of course I had to draw a deer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment